Dermal fillers are a popular cosmetic treatment that can help reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and facial hollows, giving you a more youthful and refreshed look.
Ultimately, the duration of the effects of dermal fillers vary depending on several factors, including the area being treated, and the patient’s age, skin type, and lifestyle. In this blog, we will explore the factors that affect how long dermal fillers last and what you can do to make them last for as long as possible.
What does a dermal filler do
Dermal fillers work by adding volume to the skin and filling in wrinkles, lines, and creases. They are typically made of a gel-like substance that is injected beneath the skin’s surface using a fine needle.
The most common type of dermal filler is made of hyaluronic acid, a substance that is naturally present in the body and helps to maintain skin hydration and elasticity. When injected into the skin, hyaluronic acid fillers can help to restore volume and plumpness to areas of the face that have lost fullness due to ageing.
Hyaluronic acid attracts and binds to water molecules, which can further enhance the skin’s hydration and give it a more youthful appearance. This effect can help to smooth out wrinkles and fine lines, making them less visible.
How long do dermal fillers last
Depending on the patient, dermal fillers can last anywhere from six to 18 months. A variety of factors can influence the longevity of dermal fillers. The factors that can determine how long your fillers can last include:
- The area being treated: The specific area being treated can play a part in how long the filler can last. For example, the amount of movement in the area being treated can affect the longevity of the filler, as areas that are frequently used, such as the lips, can potentially break down the filler faster.
- The patient’s age: The patient’s age can affect the duration of the effects of dermal fillers. Younger patients tend to have skin that is more resilient and can retain the effects of fillers for a longer period of time. Older patients may need more frequent treatments to maintain the desired results, as their skin becomes less resilient over time.
- The patient’s skin type: Skin type is another important factor to consider when evaluating the duration of dermal fillers. Patients with dry or sensitive skin may experience a faster breakdown of the filler, while those with oily or thick skin may be able to retain the effects of the filler for a longer period of time.
- The patient’s lifestyle factors: Lifestyle factors such as sun exposure and smoking can also impact the longevity of dermal fillers. Sun exposure can cause the skin to break down the filler faster, while smoking can reduce the blood flow to the skin, leading to a faster breakdown of the filler. Lifestyle factors such as sun exposure, smoking, and excessive movement in the treated area can also affect the longevity of dermal fillers.
- The injection technique: The skill of the practitioner and the technique used to administer the filler can also impact its longevity. An experienced practitioner who uses proper injection techniques is more likely to achieve results that last longer.
Tips for dermal filler longevity: What are the do’s and don’ts after filler
There are several steps you can take to help extend the longevity of your dermal fillers:
- Avoid excessive sun exposure: Sun exposure can cause premature ageing, which can lead to a faster breakdown of the filler. Protect your skin from the sun by wearing a hat or using a high SPF sunscreen.
- Avoid smoking: Not only can smoking can hinder the longevity of dermal filler, but it can also lead to premature ageing, which can negatively affect the overall results of your treatment overtime. For a youthful appearance, we recommend to quit smoking. If you need help to quit, see your GP for personal advice and to put a plan in place.
- Lead a healthy lifestyle: Maintaining a healthy lifestyle, including eating a balanced diet, exercising regularly, and getting enough sleep, can help keep your skin looking healthy and youthful, which can help to make your fillers last longer.
- Limit excessive movement in the treated area: Certain facial expressions and movements, such as smiling or raising your eyebrows, can cause the filler to break down more quickly. Try to limit excessive movement in the treated area too soon after your treatment to help extend the longevity of the filler.
- Avoid massaging the treated area: Massaging the treated area can cause the filler to migrate to other areas, which can result in an uneven appearance. After your treatment, you should avoid heavily massaging the area or applying to much pressure to the area.
- Maintain a good skincare routine: Regularly moisturising your skin will help to keep it at its healthiest, which can help to support dermal filler for longer. During your consultation for dermal fillers, your injector can recommend an after-treatment skincare routine, based on your skin type.
- Consider touch-up treatments: Touch-up treatments can help extend the longevity of the filler and maintain the desired results. Your practitioner can help you determine the best schedule for touch-up treatments.
It is important to remember that while there are steps you can take to help extend the longevity of your dermal fillers, the results can vary greatly from person to person and that touch-up treatments will be necessary to maintain the desired results in the longer term. It is best to discuss your specific needs and goals with a qualified practitioner to determine the best course of treatment for you.
Begone Skin & Body in Perth
Ultimately, the most important step in ensuring that you get the most out of your dermal fillers is to choose a clinic that has an experienced and qualified team.
At Begone Skin & Body, our hyaluronic acid dermal fillers are TGA approved and injected by passionate doctors and nurses who will tailor the treatment to meet your specific needs. To learn more about our treatment with dermal fillers, visit our dermal filler page here.
If you would like to undergo a treatment that is designed to enhance your natural beauty, creating natural-looking results and lasting for as long as possible, contact us to book your consultation at our Perth clinic today.